Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


September 2, 2014 > Social Security Questions

Social Security Questions

We adopted a baby girl overseas and brought her home with us to the United States. We need to get a Social Security number for her. What do we do?

In general, to apply for a Social Security number for your child you must:

* Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5), which you can find online at;
* Show us documents proving your childÕs:
o United States citizenship or immigration status;
o Adoption;
o Age; and
o Identity.
* Show us a document proving your identity; and
* Show us evidence that establishes your relationship to the child if your name is not noted as the parent on the childÕs evidence of age. The adoption decree or the amended U.S. birth certificate will suffice.

In most cases, you can mail or take your application and original documents to your local Social Security office. Remember, all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. You may not yet have proof of your child's citizenship, but we can assign a Social Security number based on documentation issued by the Department of Homeland Security upon the childÕs arrival in the United States. When you do receive documentation of your child's citizenship, you can bring it to us, and we will update your childÕs record. We will mail your childÕs number and card as soon as we have verified your documents with the issuing offices.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice