Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


April 8, 2014 > Remember to pay Use Tax when filing Income Tax returns

Remember to pay Use Tax when filing Income Tax returns

Submitted By Jaime Garza

As the April 15 income tax filing deadline approaches, the California State Board of Equalization (BOE) reminds Californians they can pay their use tax on their state returns. ItÕs simple and itÕs easy. The easiest way for consumers and businesses not registered with the BOE to pay use tax on out-of-state purchases is to report it on their state income tax forms. Filers are encouraged to ask their tax preparers, or refer to their tax preparation software, to determine whether they may owe use tax.

Use tax may be owed on items that will be used in California and were purchased without paying tax from an out-of-state retailer, whether online, via telephone or mail order. For example, California residents would owe use tax if they buy tangible personal property, such as consumer electronics, clothing, or small appliances for their use at home from an out-of-state retailer that did not charge tax. Use tax is not an ÒInternet tax,Ó and has been California law since 1935.
For more information about taxes and fees in California, visit

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice