Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


April 8, 2014 > Traffic Talk

Traffic Talk

By Sgts. Donn Tasano & Mark Dang, Fremont Police Department

Q: I came to an intersection and the traffic lights were not working. What should I do? Which car goes first?

VC section 21800(d)(1) covers this issue. Signals will sometimes fail. This is usually due to a blackout or a power failure caused by collision or transformer failure. If a signal controlled intersection is out or in flashing mode, it is treated the same as a stop sign controlled intersection. Even though no controls are present, all drivers are required to come to a complete stop, proceed when safe, and always yield to the vehicle on their right.

In most circumstances the Police are usually able to reset and restore a system when it is in red flash mode. If you encounter an intersection with inoperable signals, you may notify the police department. We will either reset the system or notify our on-call signal repair service. We may also place stop signs at the intersection to make it clear for drivers that they are required to stop. The non-emergency number is 510-790-6800 and select option 3.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice