Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


October 30, 2012 > Social Security Tips

Social Security Tips

By Mariaelena Lemus, Social Security Public Affairs Specialist

How do I change my citizenship status on Social Security's records?

To change your citizenship status shown in Social Security records:
* Complete an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5), which you can find online at; and
* Locate documents proving your:
* New or revised citizenship status (Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents);
* Age; and
* Identity.
Then, take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or card center.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. For more information, visit

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice