March 20, 2012 > AARP volunteers help at tax time
AARP volunteers help at tax time
Submitted By Christina Clem
Through April 17, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, the free tax assistance and preparation program offered by the AARP Foundation, helps local residents with basic federal and state income tax returns.
Available to middle- and low-income taxpayers, with special attention to those age 60 and older, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides face-to-face tax assistance and preparation services at hundreds of sites across California, including libraries, and senior and community centers.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide achieves a significant rate of repeat customers, who say they return to the program due to the friendliness, helpfulness, knowledge and skill of AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers are trained in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service the California Franchise Tax Board. To find an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site in the community, or a neighboring community, go to the online AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Site Locator or call 1-888-AARP-NOW (1-888-227-7669).
Most AARP Foundation Tax-Aide sites offer electronic tax filing (e-filing), at no charge to the taxpayer. E-filing ensures more accurate tax returns and faster processing of tax refunds.
Prepare for Your Meeting with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide. Before meeting with an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteer, gather together some basic information and bring it with you to the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site, such as:
* 2011 tax forms and preparation booklet
* Copy of last year's income tax returns
* W-2 forms from each employer
* Unemployment compensation statements
* SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
* 1099-HC form if you have private health insurance
* All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-misc.,) showing interest and/or dividends as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
* 1099R forms if you received a pension or annuity
* All forms indicating federal income tax paid
* Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
* All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
* Social Security numbers for all dependents
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is administered by the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated, 501(c)(3) nonpartisan, charitable organization established in 1961