Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


September 2, 2011 > Ask George

Ask George

By George Valverde - Director, CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles

Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. "Save Time by Going Online," at

Q: I live in an area with light rail (public rail transit) vehicles, which is new to me. What steps should I take to share the road safely with the light rail?

A: Light rail vehicles have the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles on the road, except that they are much larger. To make sure you give them the space they need and share the road properly, take the following precautions:

* Be aware of where the vehicles operate and take note of what could be a blind spot for the operator.
* Do not turn in front of a light rail vehicle as it approaches
* Leave plenty of space between you and the light rail vehicle, particularly if it's sharing the road with vehicular traffic.
* Approach tracks carefully and only cross over them when indicated by a signal or when you are sure there is no approaching light rail vehicle.

Q: Sometimes on the weekends or late at night while I am driving, I see drivers operating their vehicles recklessly, and I am concerned that they may be drunk drivers. How can I report a drunk driver?

A: In partnership with the Office of Traffic Safety and the California Highway Patrol, the DMV strongly urges you to report drunk drivers when you see them. Call 911 and help the CHP identify a drunk driver before they harm themselves or anyone else. Your call absolutely makes a difference, and can help keep the roads safe! To learn more about drunk driving, visit

Q: I recently moved and need to submit new information for the DMV's records. Can I do this online?

A: Yes. You can download a "Change of Address" form from the DMV website and submit it to your local field office. Besides submitting a form, you can also change your address online at if you are eligible. It's fast, convenient, and secure! Simply go to the DMV Web site, and then click on "Change of Address" under the "Online Services" tab at the top of the page. From there, it explains the process and you'll be able to start this process. Please note the restrictions on the page to be sure you are eligible for this particular online transaction. Either way, you can utilize the DMV Web site for this process. Save time. Go online!

The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice