Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California

 

May 31, 2011 > Fremont City Council

Fremont City Council

May 24, 2011

Consent Calendar:
Authorize purchase of Dell computing equipment and services through Western States Contracting Alliance pursuant to five year replacement cycle. The amount is not-to-exceed $450,000 in FY2010/11 and subsequent fiscal years through 2014 subject to adoption of applicable budget.

Approve final map of Railroad Avenue tract by Pulte Home Corporation. Public improvements include widening High Street along project frontage, street connections and trail improvements along a portion of the former Union Pacific Railroad corridor between Main Street and Paseo Padre Parkway. Housing will include private and common area amenities for 145 detached single-family units and a 40-unit apartment building with 36 units set aside for low and very low income households.

Approve final map of Irvington Commons at Fremont Boulevard between Carol Avenue and Blacow Road. This development will include 15 townhouse lots. Ownership is currently changing from Irvington Commons LLC to The Robert F. Gallo Trust.

Use Measure B Bicycle and pedestrian Discretionary Grant funds to construct pedestrian improvements at six intersections on Fremont Boulevard between Eugene Street and Washington Boulevard in the Irvington District. Improvements include bulb-outs, median refuge islands, American Disability Act compliant curb ramps and pedestrian signal devices as well as mother modifications to striping and signing. Contract with Sposeto Engineering, Inc in the amount of $193,245 to complete the work indicated.


Ceremonial:
Recognize Sergeant Jeff Campbell for 20 years service with Fremont Police Department.


Other Business:
Proposed Operating Budget for FY 2011/12 is indicative of an improving but sluggish economy. Property Tax collection is stabilizing and Sales Tax is improving but the State budget remains unresolved. Although some categories are improving from mid-year review in March, the General Fund is still showing an overall gap of $3.5 million and continuing deficits through at least two additional fiscal years.

Funding of retirement benefits though the CalPERS system although "smoothed" over a multi-year period will remain high due to extraordinary investment losses especially in 2008/09 when the actuarial assumption of 7.75% return was matched with a 24.80% decline resulting in an overall actuarial loss of 32.55%.

Reserves including "Core" and "Budget Uncertainty" are estimated to decline to $22.7 million over the next two fiscal years. Requirements for replenishment of these reserves as well as capital improvements, street maintenance and retiree medical obligations will continue to be unmet during the next several fiscal years.

Redevelopment Agency activity continues under a cloud of State action that could eliminate the agency. Approximately $8 million remains in the agency at this time. A Notice of Funding Availability scheduled for approval at this meeting, use of these funds for development of new affordable rental housing is requested.

To balance the budget and sustain City resources, employee concessions and "alternative service delivery" will be necessary. The first public hearing of the proposed FY 2011/12 Budget will be held at the June 7, 2011 council meeting.

Council Communications:
Mayor Wasserman referred an appointment of Saumya Singhal to the Library Advisory Commission.

Councilmember Harrison reported on attendance at convention of shopping center developers and noted a more optimistic mood of these businesses.


Consider zoning text amendment change of affordable housing ordinance to allow changes involving in-lieu fees, timing of the ordinance and off-site existing units to meet affordability requirements. Allow staff to suggest text changes to ordinance and return to council for implementation. (Dutra - recuse)


Mayor Bob Wasserman Yes
Vice Mayor Suzanne Lee Chan Yes
Anu Natarajan Yes
Bill Harrison Yes
Dominic Dutra Yes

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2014 Tri-City Voice