Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


April 26, 2011 > Union City Crime News

Union City Crime News

Submitted By Courtesy of City of Union City

Woman arrested for DUI

A woman was injured after her vehicle crashed into a light pole. The accident happened on Thursday, April 14 on Green Street near Oynx Terrace. The driver was found lying on a residence's front lawn. Alameda County Fire and AMR ambulance were called to render first aid. She was extremely intoxicated and taken to a local hospital for observation. She was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.

In a similar case, another woman was arrested for DUI on Thursday, April 14. Police found her in a parked vehicle on Dyer Street at Courthouse Drive. Police had to wake her up as she passed out in the driver's seat. She had a high blood alcohol content of .37 and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Man arrested for tampering with railroad property

A man was arrested for allegedly tampering with railroad property. On Thursday, April 14, an officer on routine patrol spotted the subject tampering with the railroad crossing on the corner of Whipple Road and Dyer Street. He had dismantled a large piece of copper wire from the crossing arm.

On Thursday, April 14, a business on Decoto Road at Seventh Street reported the theft of a copper pipe worth more than $900.

Hazardous Materials incident

Fire crews were called to a business on Central Avenue when a drum of Nitric Acid emitted noxious fumes. The incident happened on Friday morning, April 15. Union City Police assisted the Alameda County Fire Department and the heavy chemical odor eventually dissipated. No medical concerns were reported in the area.

Residential Burglary

Police have arrested three suspects in connection with a residential burglary on Pecan Way. On Friday, April 15, the suspects ransacked the house and fled. A witness provided the vehicle's description to police. The vehicle was located on Whipple Road near Calle La Mirada and Police arrested the suspects and retrieved some of the stolen items. Additional stolen property was later found at a residence on "I" Street.

Another residential burglary was reported on Wednesday, April 20 on Hop Ranch Road. Police have arrested five suspects in connection with the robbery. Two suspects were arrested standing near the front of the victim's residence; the remaining three who fled by jumping neighboring fences were also apprehended.

Football teams brawl

Two football teams at James Logan High School got involved in a brawl on Saturday, April 16. It started when two players got involved in a mutual battery at the end of a play. Team members, coaches and parents and about 80 to 90 people were involved in the altercation. Police quickly cleared the football field and were able to detain the primary subjects. The player who started the fight was arrested and citation released to his parents. A report is being sent to the District Attorney for review of any charges against the coach for pushing an opposing team's player to the ground.

Suspect arrested for DUI and possession of a controlled substance

Police arrested a man for DUI and possession of a controlled substance on Saturday night, April 16 when he ran a red light, driving eastbound on Whipple Road and almost collided with the officer's vehicle. The suspect swerved and lost control of his vehicle, striking the curb and causing it to overturn. Taken to a local hospital for treatment of injuries, the suspect attempted to hide three grams of cocaine but was caught by the ambulance attendant.

"Pigeon Drop"

Union City Police are warning residents about "pigeon drop" scams. If an offer seems too good to be true or requires you to provide "good faith" money in advance, it is probably not a legitimate transaction. In the last several weeks, there has been a rise in such thefts.

A victim reported being approached at the Union Landing Shopping Center and befriended by a suspect who identified himself as an African Prince. The suspect explained that he needed $2,000 to use as security, also known as "Good Faith" money in order to receive a much larger sum from his home country. The victim agreed to provide the money in exchange for a fee, with a promise to double his money once the money was received.

This usually occurs in a public area near a banking institution so the victim can withdraw the funds. Once the victim hands the money over to the suspect, the suspect finds some way to excuse himself and flees with the money.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice