Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California

 

February 15, 2011 > Carbon monoxide detectors

Carbon monoxide detectors

By Meenu Gupta

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that cannot be seen, smelled or tasted. Because of this, to make sure that homes are safe from CO problems, installation of carbon monoxide detectors are recommended. According to the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010 an approved carbon monoxide device listed by the State Fire Marshal should be installed on every level of a home, especially in the sleeping areas, with a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage. Detectors should be installed within the earliest applicable time period for all existing single-family dwelling units on or before July 1, 2011. All other existing dwelling units intended for human occupancy should comply on or before January 1, 2013.

With respect to the number and placement of carbon monoxide devices, an owner shall install CO detection devices in a manner consistent with building standards applicable to new construction for the relevant type of occupancy or with the manufacturer's instructions, if it is technically feasible to do so. A carbon monoxide device shall be operable at the time a tenant takes possession. Tenants shall be responsible for notifying the owner or owner's agent if they become aware of an inoperable or deficient carbon monoxide device within his or her unit.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2014 Tri-City Voice