Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


January 21, 2011 > Lady Vikings JV soccer remains undefeated

Lady Vikings JV soccer remains undefeated

Submitted by Paul Dunn
Photo by Ed Ohye

Irvington High's JV Lady Vikings soccer team started the week with a Tuesday game against the Newark Memorial High's Cougars in Newark. Both teams had won all of their previous games this season, so a close and exciting game was guaranteed.

Irvington's supporters were not disappointed as the Vikings midfield of Molly Cory, Sarina Utamsing and Rhian Dunn took control of the middle of the field early on in the first half. This allowed the Vikings to press forward and play the majority of the game in the Cougars' half. However, it was not going to be Irvington's day as they could not put the ball past the Newark keeper and the score remained 0-0.

In the end only a leaping save by Vikings keeper Andrea Hanna in the final seconds of the game saved the Vikings from an undeserved defeat. Final score: 0-0.

Two days later, Thursday, Jan. 13, the Lady Vikings went up against the Mission San Jose High Warriors at Tak Fudenna Memorial Stadium. The Vikings were missing several key players due to injuries and sickness so the team line-up had to be shuffled before the game.

Both teams took a while to settle down, but eventually the Vikings started to dictate the play, which led to several chances on goal. About 10 minutes into the game, the Vikings got a bit of luck as midfielder Rachel Heng got the ball from Marissa Lee 20 yards from goal and her shot spun off her foot, completely wrong footing the Warrior keeper who dived the wrong way and could only watch as the ball went in the opposite direction and slowly rolled over the goal line out of reach.

It didn't stay 1-0 for too long, as Erica Ohye latched on to a Molly Cory pass and quickly placed the ball past the charging keeper to extend the lead.

In the second half, injuries to Heng and sweeper Tiffany Sarchet meant yet more shuffling and good playing time for some of the newer players on the squad. As verteran starter Megan Dunn took over as sweeper, Alyssa Mathias and Emily Holmes both served admirably at fullback. Summer Jones came in to help out the midfield, and Amie Fang and Natalie Cory replaced the tired forwards.

This new line-up not only held its own against a resurgent Warrior team, but increased the lead when Molly Cory fed a perfect ball to the charging Heng who one-timed a shot under the diving keeper to make the final score 3-0. Heng would have had a hat-trick, but a first half goal of hers was called back for offside. Goalkeepers Andrea Hanna and Allison Huff combined for the shutout.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice