November 9, 2010 > Residential burglaries
Submitted By Sgt. Daryl Sequeira, Milpitas PD
Recently, there has been an increase in residential burglaries in the City of Milpitas. In several instances, homeowners have left windows and sliding doors open, allowing suspects to easily enter the homes. Often suspects knock on the front door and when there is no answer, they enter the backyard via an unlocked side gate.
Combating residential burglaries is a major focus of the Milpitas Police Department. It is important when you leave your residence that it is secured, helping to decrease your chances of becoming a burglary victim. The Police Department has a few suggestions to reduce the risk of being victimized.
1. When leaving your residence, make sure you lock all doors and windows, even when running quick errands.
2. Make sure all windows and doors are closed and locked before going to bed at night.
3. Secure your side gates with a lock.
4. Consider purchasing and installing deadbolt-type locks in your residence, if you do not already have them.
5. Install an alarm at your residence, if possible.
6. Close your garage door, even when you are home.
7. Illuminate your residence. Use exterior lights at night to illuminate your home.
8. Use timers on your lights to give the appearance you are home.
9. Consider starting a Neighborhood Watch Program in your neighborhood.
Always call the Milpitas Police Department to report a crime in progress or any suspicious vehicles/people in your neighborhood. Such activity could be pedestrians, bicyclists, or vehicle occupants behaving unusually in neighborhoods. If you see strangers in your neighborhood call the Police immediately. Do not try to confront anyone, but rather try to collect a suspect description, vehicle description, and the direction of travel if they leave.
If you witness a crime in progress, please call 9-1-1 or (408) 263-1212 if dialing from a cell phone. For further information, please contact the Milpitas Police Department at (408) 586-2400.
1275 N. Milpitas Blvd, Milpitas, CA 95035 (408) 586-2400