Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


September 21, 2010 > Mission Valley United puts up valiant effort

Mission Valley United puts up valiant effort

By Sanjna Shukla

On Saturday, Sept. 18, the Mission Valley United under 16 girls fell to the San Francisco Valkyries, 3-2. MVU put up a fight and the win was not an easy one for the Valkyries.

In the eighth minute, Mission Valley was awarded a free kick right outside the 18. Anita Kavalan took the kick and hit the ball low to the far post. But before the team could start celebrating, the referee annulled the goal. Due to the positioning of the kick, it was unclear from the referee's standpoint whether the ball entered the goal through a hole on the outer side of the net, or if it crossed the front post. The sideline referee claimed that the ball did indeed go through the hole, and after a few protests from the players and coaches, the Valkyries were given a goal kick.

The Valkyries retaliated hard and were able to get a goal in the 15th minute of play. The pressure was on MVU as they were down on their home field. United didn't trail for long. Forward Tania Nag dribbled hard at the defense and was able to get past the whole back line. As the San Francisco goalie came off her line, Tania slipped a no-look pass to Cassidy Scott. Scott finished with a strong goal, and the game was tied at halftime.

In the second half, the Valkyries came out strong. They had the first goal of the half, and MVU was trailing again. MVU made hard attacks at goal, and unfortunately one resulted in an injury. As Cassidy Scott was dribbling to goal, one of San Francisco's defenders attempted to get the ball from behind. At that same time, Scott turned and the two players ended up banging their knees. The team had a scare as Scott was writhing on the floor in pain. Scott was carried off the field and taken to the emergency room.

A couple plays after the injury, MVU was awarded another free kick from outside the 18 box. Once again, Anita Kavalan lined up to take the kick. Fortunately, this one went right to the back of the net and left no room for discussion. The two teams were tied yet again, and the game became more physical than ever.

San Francisco was called for plenty of fouls throughout the game, but the number doubled at the end of the second half. MVU held up well, and the majority of the game was being played in the middle of the field. On one play, a San Francisco forward was able to get the ball and dribbled through the defense. She had an open shot, and scored the game winner. Although the game was almost over, MVU didn't give up, but unfortunately were not able to respond by the time the game ended. The eventful game ended at 3-2, with San Francisco as the winner.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice