June 24, 2009 > Walk with history
Walk with history
Submitted By Barbara Gomes Bowman
The Milpitas Historical Society will conduct a walking tour open to the public on Saturday, June 27. The first stop scheduled is a visit to the Jose Maria Alviso Adobe, where we will be able to tour the grounds before restoration takes place around August. City Engineer Greg Armendariz will give the history on the Adobe.
Next stop is the last remaining working apricot orchard in Milpitas, owned by society members Clarence and Diana Silva. If they are harvesting the fruit that day, we will be able to see how the cots are cut and the sulfuring process.
Across the street is the St. Johns Catholic Cemetery, which will be our next stop. This cemetery is the resting place of many Milpitas pioneers. It is private and locked to the public, so this will be a rare visit.
Please bring a picnic lunch for yourself, and we will eat at Ed Levine Park. After lunch, we will then drive to society member and owner Bill Hare's home to see the old Laguna School.
The last stop will be to the Downing Ranch, which is closed to the public. Climb the hill behind the ranch and see the huge rock where the Ohlone Indians once ground their acorns. This is a working ranch with cows, horses, and peacocks.
Historical Society members are asked to wear their T-shirts. Participants are advised to bring water and comfortable shoes. We will meet at Big Lots at 9 a.m. and leave at 9:15. We will be carpooling to the Adobe, which is only a couple of miles away. For more information call Barbara at (408) 942-1492
Walking history tour
Saturday, June 27
200 Serra Way # 1, Milpitas