March 18, 2009 > Program provides free tax preparation
Program provides free tax preparation
Submitted By Johnny Yee
Saving dollars is important, especially during these economic times. Fremont's Family Resource Center can help by offering free tax preparation to individuals and families through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
Sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service, the program is available to qualifying individuals and families who earned less than $46,000 in 2008. If there are no issues, taxpayers with direct deposit can get their refunds in one to two weeks with free e-filing.
Volunteers have already served more than 500 taxpayers as of the end of February. Low-income taxpayers have saved over $50,000 in preparation costs and collected over $750,000 in federal and state refunds.
The 2009 goal is to serve 1,400 taxpayers by April 15. The service is available Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-8 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. until April 15. Free on-site child care is available as well.
Married couples filing jointly must arrive together. Taxpayers need to bring the following:
* Driver license or other official picture ID;
* Original Social Security card or letter, or individual taxpayer's identification number card or letter, for each person on the return;
* 2008 income documents such as W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, and year-end interest statements;
* 2008 deductions such as IRA contributions, mortgage interest and/or property taxes paid (if a homeowner), child care expenses with information on child care provider (address, phone number, and Social Security or employer identification number);
* Direct deposit information for refunds (a voided check if depositing into checking account, routing and account numbers for saving or other accounts);
* Rent information (name, address, and phone number of landlord) if applicable; and
* A copy of last year's tax return is helpful.
For more information, contact Carolyn Robertson at (510) 574-2020 or the Fremont Family Resource Center at 39155 Liberty Street.