January 7, 2009 > Milpitas Public Library grand opening
Milpitas Public Library grand opening
Submitted By Leslie Stobbe
Photos By Dustin Findley
The Milpitas Public Library grand opening ceremony begins on Saturday, January 10 at 10 a.m., at 160 North Main St. on the steps of the restored historic building, weather permitting. Mayor Robert Livengood and Councilmember Debbie Giordano will provide opening remarks before conducting a traditional ribbon cutting. In the event of rain the ribbon will be cut outside and the ceremony will move inside the library.
The entire library will open to the public at 10:30 a.m. Attendees may enter the library through the front doors of the historic Milpitas Grammar School, a rare opportunity for visitors.
The City of Milpitas will host activities for children, tours, art and local history displays, artist talks, cultural performances and historic perspectives.
This two-level library features the Milpitas Grammar School in the center with separate wings that bookend the school to the north and south.
Three times the size of the library on N. Milpitas Blvd., the Milpitas Public Library is the largest in the Santa Clara County Library system. It covers 60,000 square feet, more than an NFL football field.
The north wing has two levels. The first floor houses the children's library, and a story time/activity room. The second floor hosts the young adult section, homework center and reference areas.
The south wing houses a central area to check out library materials, a room for Friends of the Milpitas Library, new books, audio-visual media and group study.
The Ed Cavallini Tower anchors the south wing and contains the hanging sculpture "Fertile Ground."
The library, and connected four-story garage, will be owned and maintained by the City of Milpitas with a leasing agreement to the Santa Clara County Joint Powers Authority for library operations.
The City of Milpitas Redevelopment Agency completed construction of the Milpitas Public Library in two years, ahead of schedule and under the $39 Million budget.
Milpitas Grammar School Students will attend the grand opening.
Frank Delos Wolf designed the Milpitas Grammar School building in the Greek revival architecture style. His brother, Theodore Linfield Wolf, built the structure in 1916 for a cost of $13,212.
After the Milpitas Grammar School closed in 1956, the building served as Milpitas City Hall, the Police Department and the Milpitas Senior Center. The National Register of Historic Places added the Milpitas Grammar School to its list on July 22, 1993.
The Milpitas Grammar School courtyard was open to the elements and now uses a tensile fabric roof to cover renovations and provide filtered sunlight.
Milpitas Library grand opening
Saturday, January 10
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Milpitas Public Library
160 N. Main St., Milpitas