Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


July 2, 2008 > Insure registration of your vehicle

Insure registration of your vehicle

By Dustin Findley

To legally drive a vehicle it needs to be registered with the DMV. To be registered proof of insurance for the vehicle must be submitted to the DMV, electronically or in paper. Insurance companies notify DMV who has functioning insurance, and the DMV notifies the Vehicle Registration Financial Responsibility Program (VRFR).

If your insurance is not current, for any reason, you will receive a notice (according to the DMV website), and if you fail to respond by the deadline, then DMV will suspend the registration on that particular vehicle. You can only re-instate the registration for your vehicle through the VRFR and pay appropriate fees, etc. DMV does not handle registration suspension cases.

The VRFR can only be contacted by mail, e-mail, fax, or telephone. The contact information is on each notice. The phone number is 1-866-664-4545.
Law enforcement and court personnel access DMV records to check if your vehicle is currently insured. Whenever you drive a vehicle or park on California roadways you must have proof of insurance, and make sure your registration has not been suspended, otherwise you are subject to citation, impounding, towing, etc. You cannot renew registration for a vehicle that has suspended registration; registration must be re-instated before it can be renewed.

Currently, the only companies that notify DMV electronically of insurance verification are listed at the following website: The DMV website states that DMV will notify you when paper proof is needed.

The vehicle cannot be driven or parked on California streets, roads, or highway until proof of insurance is received by the department. A reinstatement fee is not due when the registration is cancelled for planned non-use.

In the frequently asked questions section of the DMV website it states "How do I find out if my registration is suspended? You will be notified by mail if your vehicle registration is subject to suspension. If you do not respond by the suspension effective date on the notice and a suspension occurs, a second notice will be mailed." Answers to frequently asked questions are available at the following website:
The official DMV website is The website is a private website that is not a part of the DMV or any governmental agency.


Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice