Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California

 

March 5, 2008 > History: Lawrence and Emiline Rose Family

History: Lawrence and Emiline Rose Family

Rosida Dutra came from the Azores to California to join her sisters Eugina and Mary in California. She met and married Manuel Rezendes, who had an apricot and cherry orchard on the present Peralta Boulevard where the Mormon Centerville Chapel was built. Their children, Mary (Mae), Emilie, Ida, Tony and Minnie were born here. Minnie married Joseph Rogers. Their children were Harry, Helene and Emiline.

Emiline's mother, Minnie, died when Emiline was only 13 days old and she was adopted and raised by her aunt Mary (Mae) and her uncle Antone Oliviera, who became her mom and dad. Emiline grew up on the Oliviera Dairy on Blacow Road, owned by Antone and his brother John. Antone and Mary built a house facing Blacow Road in 1929 and added a second story in the 1940s (as it is seen today). John and Emily Oliviera lived with their five children in another house they built on the dairy in 1921. The brothers, John and Antone, raised their families on this farm.

Emiline walked about half a mile to Mowry School for grades one through seven where her teachers were Bessie Coombs and Corinne Lorenzen. She went to Centerville School for the eighth grade. She caught the high school bus, which went to Mowry Dairy, to Decoto Road and along Highway 17 to Washington High School where she graduated in 1930.

Antone Rose came from Faial, Azores and eventually purchased a 17-acre farm on Osgood Road along the railroad. They had an almond orchard, which they later cut down and replaced with apricot trees. Antone married Maria Dutra, who had come to Newark from Faial to work for the Santos family. Antone and Maria had five children Mary, Tony, Joe, Lawrence and Dan. The children attended the nearby Irvington School, walked to church at Mission San Jose, and sometimes skated at the Irvington Skating Rink. Lawrence began working for the county grading roads when he was 16-years-old. One day when he was grading Blacow Road he met Emiline Rogers who was 13. They later danced to the music of Lawrence's little phonograph. They were smitten with each other from this first meeting and married at Holy Spirit Church on Nov. 15, 1931 after a five year courtship.

Lawrence and Emiline bought a house on Union Street in Irvington where they began their family. The house payment was $27 a month. Their children, David, Leroy, Emiline and Patricia were born at Silva's Maternity Home in Niles.

Lawrence drove a truck for Irvington Bakery and worked for Mighty Nice bakery in Hayward. Lawrence wanted his own bakery so he selected a building at 161 S. Main St. in Centerville across from Chapel of the Palms and opened the Sunrise Bakery in 1937. They started with two used trucks and used equipment they bought from Sichel Bakery Supply in San Francisco. Phil and Pamela Souza were partners and Antone Oliviera was a silent partner. The first day they had only cookies. They still have the framed first customer dollar received from Marie Lewis Rose. Bread was 7 cents a loaf and cookies were 15 cents a dozen. There were two kinds of bread; wrapped French and milk bread. They had a wrapping machine and a portable brick oven. The oven had tile with sand on the top and the bottom.

On the first day of business, Lawrence planned delivery routes and loaded a truck "to sell all he could." Pete Selby, the Peerless yeast salesman waited for Lawrence to return so he could see how much bread was left, but Lawrence had sold every loaf. Pete exclaimed, "Lawrence, you could sell rocks."

The business expanded rapidly and a year later they ordered 100 sacks of flour and were operating three trucks with routes. They remodeled the bakery in 1948, installed showcases and added a refrigerator case for cream goods. In 1955 they were losing money because of overhead expenses. They moved to Newark, dropped the delivery routes and installed outlets in rented spaces at the Centerville Food Market and the Rick Mark Center in Irvington.

Lawrence bought Katherine's Bakery from Paul and Katherine Heilig and changed the name to Sunrise Bakery. He also got Paul's recipes. Sons David and Leroy worked in the bakery and daughters Emiline and Patricia also helped out when they were needed. Lawrence retired from business in 1974.

In 1946 Lawrence and Emiline bought and remodeled a house on Parish Street that had been Dr. Elon Ornsby's home and office. In 1948 they bought the house next door, and they built an apartment behind their house in 1949 and another in 1951. They also bought the house next door to their house on Parish Street in 1963.

Lawrence and Emiline still live on Parish Avenue and are still able to enjoy life and reminisce with their children, nine grandchildren, 14 great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren about their many years in Washington Township.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2014 Tri-City Voice