March 16, 2004 > Test Your Hardware IQ
Test Your Hardware IQ
Dale Hardware Quiz #11
- The first lawnmower was the result of a machine designed to:
- Shear sheep
- Cut hair
- Grind coffee
- Cut velvet nap.
- The first American lawnmower, called the "Archimedean" used how many blades? What was the problem with this mower?
- What hit the market in 1902 that energized the lawnmower market?
- Steam powered mowers were introduced
- Lawns became popular with homeowners
- Gas powered lawnmowers were introduced
- Rubber tires were put on lawnmowers
- In 1971, an invention changed trimming and gardening chores dramatically. What was it?
- 1. d. Edward Budding at a Gloucestershire, England textile mill invented a cutting machine to shear the nap off velvet. This led to the invention of the lawnmower.
- The "Archimedean" used a single blade but was extremely noisy
- c. Gas powered lawnmowers
- The Weed Eater using fishing line as a cutting edge. It was patented by Thomas N. Geist and George C. Ballas